What motivates you, the “carrot” or the “stick”? The answer can mean the difference between working from a mindset of energy and excitement, or working from a mindset of fear. For this morning’s walk: Running Toward the Positive.
We are recruiting the next cohort of the Alma College MFA in Creative Writing! This is a low-residency graduate degree program that features residencies twice a year. The rest of the semester you work one-on-one with a faculty mentor, submitting packets of writing once a month. Our next residency, is December 27-January 6 and the application deadline is November 1. Check it out. I’d love to hear about what you’re writing and your thoughts about joining our artistic community.
The Alma MFA is hosting seven open house events this season. Five are virtual and two are in person on the Alma Campus. We invite you to attend any or all of them so you can get your questions answered and get a taste of the learning experience you’ll enjoy in the program. Here’s the schedule:
- August 26, 7pm Eastern: Virtual Open House with faculty readings. REGISTER NOW.
- September 9, 7pm Eastern: “Creative Nonfiction and the MFA” Virtual Open House with a sample lesson taught by CNF faculty Anna Clarkand Matthew Gavin Frank. REGISTER NOW.
- September 23, 7pm Eastern: “Young Adult Fiction and the MFA” Virtual Open House with fiction faculty Dhonielle Clayton.
- September 30, 7pm Eastern: “Fiction and the MFA” Virtual Open House with sample lesson from fiction faculty Karen Bender.
- October 7: Two in person events at Wright-Leppien Opera House, 101 W. Superior St., Alma Michigan:
1.) Visiting writer David Lynn will teach a master class at 3:30pm Eastern for current and prospective MFA students. Topic: “Drama and Conflict: What’s Essential in Opening a Story.” Pre-registration required. Email email@example.com.
2.) MFA Open House and public reading by David Lynn and program director Sophfronia Scott at 7pm Eastern.
- October 14, 7pm Eastern: “Poetry and the MFA” Virtual Open House with poetry faculty Leslie Contreras Schwartz and Benjamin Garcia.
With the changes in Covid-19 protocols, I find that in-person events are being scheduled again. Of course we may have to wears masks in some indoor venues. I’ve updated my events page here on the site. If I’ll be in your area, please stop by. Would be happy to see you!